Do you really want to give a special gift? – Learn why a homemade RC airplane can make the difference
Gifts are better when they are homemade, that way the present can be very special and fully customized for the person who will receive it. Another advantage of preparing gifts at home is that they can be cheaper, but this doesn’t make them less sophisticated, in fact, they can be even better if the right pieces are assembled, and in order to achieve this, recycling is going to be required. Getting creative while recycling can be very significant for the final outcome, it is amazing what can be built with just a touch of imagination. Don’t go anywhere and keep reading, because in the next lines I will present you how a homemade RC airplane can be the perfect gift, this toy can be done using the most unexpected materials available at your house.
Creativity is our best friend when recycling, and this is now more obvious with television shows like Pawn Stars or American Pickers, where people sell and buy objects that are in very bad conditions, and with a little investment they turn them into a piece of art. In our case of course it is going to be a gift, and it would be great to prepare a high-quality RC airplane to surprise another person.
Flying remote control airplanes is one of the hobbies that I enjoy the most. These marvelous toys can impress to anyone and literally make time fly, and even when some of these toys can be a little pricey, you can take advantage of some cheap materials available at your house, and build an RC airplane for less than what you think.
Are you ready to build an RC airplane? - Learn how to do it here
Some people think that the components required to assemble an RC airplane are expensive and very specialized, and even when the companies that sell these planes do a great job with the materials that they use, it is possible to get pretty much the same results with a homemade aircraft, here I would like to present you some of the products that are commonly used to build airplanes at home and make them fly.
- Cardboard: It is perfect to build the shapes and forms that the airplane requires, and since it is a resistant and light-weight material it is perfect to build parts like the wings, fuselage, ailerons, and more.
- Popsicle sticks: These can be used as fasteners to secure the different pieces of the plane; they also can be used to add strength to a vulnerable cardboard part and even to fix a broken wing or a damaged aileron.
- Rubber bands: If a Popsicle stick or any other part of the plane must be held at a certain position, and glue or tape can’t be used, rubber bands are a great choice. They also are flexible, so if any part of the airship needs to have a little wiggle, a rubber band can be the solution.
- Transparent tape: I think that there is no project that could not use one of the best inventions on planet Earth. Tape can be a great help to secure two or more pieces together, it also can add strength to any part of the ship.
- Glue: It can be used with the pieces that are required to stay firmly attached to the airplane and with no movement at all; glue as well is essential to place most pieces together.
In case that you are still wondering how to solve the puzzle that I may have proposed, here is an example of a homemade RC airplane; the objective is to have fun while you are doing this project and at the same time prepare a special gift for someone else, and a huge advantage about it is that it will be made with recycled materials, thus you save some money and help the planet as well.
Preparing a homemade gift is fun and healthy for the planet
Now that you have seen how easy is to transform some old cardboard boxes into a great RC flying toy for a gift, it is time to make your own, you may not follow each step as shown on the video, the rule is simply to use your imagination and make something special out of this, even if you don’t want to make it fly, with a little painting and details it could look great as a decorative item. It is also a great idea to do this project with the children and make it a family gift.
A very important aspect of gifts like this is the reuse of materials; I’m not in favor of presenting a future full of calamities and issues if recycling is not a priority, this message is full of fear and nothing better can come from it. I like to think about these projects as a way to tell people what can be accomplished through the culture of reuse, and choosing to start doing projects like this can make the difference for everyone.
What do you thing about making a gift for others? Would you like to do a homemade airplane? What other gift ideas can you share with us? Let us know your experience and leave a comment.
About the author:
Jose Lozano is a big fan of RC flying toys, he enjoys this hobby and it is common for him to even build some models using old spare parts in his room. He knows how great is both to give and receive these gadgets as a gift, and those that are built at home are more special. Driven by his passion for remote controlled devices, Jose started a website where he enjoys sharing great information such as AR Drone reviews, and interesting blog posts about the B-17 flying fortress RC airplane.